Autism Project Donations:

Autism Project Donations here - https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=23MBUB4W8AL7E

Tuesday 17 September 2019

Curry In The Battle Of Kurukshetra

This week, Richard Martin's 'Wake-Up Call' goes to the Felicity Huffman story as a counterpoint to the super-critical Saudi Oil Fields attacks, which is also looked at:

http://www.richardmartinswakeupcall.podbean.com/

As for me, well I just had a terrific experience...

I was walking mid-morning through this local shopping mall, see, and this Indian girl was standing, seemingly all-forlorn, with a plate of something or other - naan bread pieces or something so I figured, yeah all right, at least if I take one she won't be stuck with no one to try whatever it was. 

After I had finalized some useless item of trivia that demanded personal attention, it was still not much more than late mid-morning and the Indian restaurant, although looking quite ready for customers, was empty but for one young woman at the back messing around with a laptop and nibbling small things...

Had enough of dim-sum for a while, I thought, and went in.
The one I had didn't look like this, but I used this pic -
because it is colorful!

Lamb shank curry? What on earth was I doing ordering lamb shank curry?

Er, scored a bull's eye here. It was ridiculously good. Not a molecule of fat anywhere; to me lamb often suffers in the hands of lazy cooks, from way too much indigestible fat.

Not this thing. Fell off the bone, the spices were authentic and clearly hand-ground, and the whole thing had been slow cooked and chilled, the fat removed - properly - and then slowly baked to the finish. And with these kinds of things, you really have to do the sauce in two stages, one in which you slow cook the shanks, and then a second stage of the ultimate sauce that comes right at the end.

All thoughts of alien invasion, or where the drones had come from, and how they had been so accurate in delivering their explosive payloads, or whether negative interest rates were going to adversely affect the whole world, went right out of my mind.

And although they have attempted to come back (into my mind) echoes of mindbogglingly good curries are blocking all of them right now.

I am thinking positively along the lines that even in the Battle of Kurukshetra, there were a few odd handfuls of people who were able to decamp to this garden in space somewhere, called Amaravati, filled with apsaras and very likely, pretty decent food. And they avoided the final war, and they survived. And they were none the worse for it all.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know what's going on in the Middle East, but there's a surreal, anomalous quiet after the attack on KSA. It's eerie.
    "Something's happening here / What it is ain't exactly clear..."

    Here's hoping we all have safe haven.

    ReplyDelete

Your considered comments are welcome